Thursday, March 11, 2010

Eyeliner 101

Eyeliner is a tricksy thing to master and while it does take some practice, just read my tips and you'll be a pro in no time!
Now, there are three different types of eyeliner that you can use. A pencil eyeliner, a liquid liner and gel eyeliner. I'm gonna go through each one and discuss the who, what, where, when and why of each.


Pencil Eyeliner
I'd definitely recommend this if you're a beginner. Using a pencil eyeliner achieves the smokey look and it's really easy to use. What I like to do is use the eyeliner to draw a line along my lash line (it really doesn't have to be neat at all), and then smudge the liner using a Q-tip (but I prefer using a smudge brush... some eyeliners even come with them on the other end which is fab!) so it's all smokey and nice. To finish, I'll take a wet angled eyeliner brush with some black eyeshadow and just go over the line to smooth and neaten it up! I have yet to come across an amazing pencil eyeliner that I just can't live with out, but I know that Stila's Kajal Eye Liner is super smudge-able and great for achieving that smokey look.


Liquid Eyeliner
I definitely would not recommend this to anyone who is still new with makeup and eyeliner. I still have yet to master liquid liner, it takes a LOT of practice. Try using a liquid liner with a relatively flexible felt tip pen (L'oreal Lineur Intense Felt Tip Liquid Eyeliner is a great option) instead of a brush tip. Also, once you've drawn your line, go over it with a dry angled liner brush and black eyeshadow to smooth out any unevenness.


Gel Eyeliner
YAY this is my favourite type of eyeliner to use and I highly HIGHLY recommend it to all of you. At the moment, I'm using MAC's Fluidline in Blacktrack and it's what I use when I draw out my winged eyeliner. Gel eyeliner is like a combination of a pencil and liquid liner... it looks the same as liquid liner, but is a lot easier to use, like a pencil liner. You need an angled eyeliner brush for this and what I like most about this kind of eyeliner is that it's really forgiving if you make any mistakes (but you have to act quickly, otherwise the liner will dry and won't budge!). One word of caution though: If you buy a crap product, it'll dry out like paint and you won't be able to use it anymore. Make sure you close the container tightly so that no air gets in! Some drug store brands have started making gel eyeliners (like L'oreal HIP Cream Eyeliner or Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner. Both of these products come with little brushes too, which is handy!) at a more affordable price, although I personally haven't tried either of them so I can't say if they're good or not.

Let me know what you all think and which is your favourite type of liner to use!!

No comments:

Post a Comment