Saturday, May 1, 2010

How to remove your makeup

I'm currently using Clinique Rinse-Off Foaming Cleanser to take my makeup off at night. It works wonderfully, but it stings like a BITCH if you get it in your eyes, so make sure your eyes are kept tightly shut when your massaging it around your eye area to take off your makeup.

To some of you who have this down pat, you're gonna be like "what the eff, doesn't everyone know how to take their makeup off??"
Well... some of us don't... including my dear friend Beth who requested I blog about this! This post is just gonna outline how I like to take my makeup off at night, and some of my tips if you find that after you've washed your face, you still have traces of mascara and eye makeup left. So annoying, right?

Personally, I use two different cleansers - one for morning and one for night. Sounds kind of silly, but I like using two different ones because they each have different purposes. I use my morning cleanser in the shower, and it's generally something that is ideal for oily skin, sometimes with salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide (acne fighting ingredients) that would be TERRIBLE to use to take off makeup. At night, I use a cleanser with makeup removing ingredients to take all my makeup off, including my eye makeup. Look for a product that specifically states on the bottle that it removes all makeup, including waterproof mascara. That's your deal breaker. Purity by Philosophy is the BEST makeup removing cleanser I've come across. You can buy it at Sephora... it's uber expensive which is why I don't buy it too often but if you're willing to splurge... BUY IT!!!!! You can thank me later ;)

While you don't have to go out and buy two different cleansers, it works for me. I would hate to use only one cleanser that's ideal for taking off makeup in the morning when I'm not even wearing makeup... ya know? I also don't really like using an individual eye makeup remover just because you have to use cotton pads every time you take your makeup off, and it can get pretty wasteful. Hahaha, I guess you could say that it's wasteful to buy two different cleansers, but I always recycle my empty bottles :)
If you don't want to buy two different cleansers, here's what I recommend you do:
  1. Buy an eye makeup remover - a lot of people don't like the removers with oil in them because it leaves their skin feeling greasy, but in my experience I find that it's what takes off my makeup the best. Plus it doesn't sting your eyes.
  2. After you've used a cotton pad with your remover to wipe off all your eye makeup, wash your face with a cleanser to take off the rest of your face makeup. Gently massage the cleanser around your eye area too to clean away any oily residue that's left over from your eye makeup remover.
  3. Rinse your face and dry with a towel! Your skin should have no traces of any makeup left.
  4. Apply a moisturizer and enjoy your squeaky clean makeup-less face as you sleep the night away!'
Hope this helped! I plan on doing some reviews on the best eye makeup removers but I gotta do some research first because as I said, I only use a face wash to take my makeup off. Let me know if there's a product that you find is the BEST for taking off eye makeup and I'll try it out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment